Saturday, March 11, 2017
Streamer Wands - Craft with or for Kids
Whether it's for a party, parade, picnic, or just playing around, these simple but colorful wands are sure to delight the kids. They're fun to make for the kids or with the kids.
Choose team colors, favorite colors, patriotic colors, or whatever catches your fancy.
- wooden dowels approximately 24" (60 cm) long (or whatever length you prefer)
- acrylic paint, brushes
- other decorations, such as: beads, glitter glue, washi tape, stickers, markers, etc.
- large wooden beads, decorative pencil-top erasers, or other items that will fit on the end of the dowels (optional)
1. If your dowels are too long, cut them to the correct length. Remove any stickers/tags from the dowels.
2. Paint the dowels with whatever color or colors you like. Allow the paint to dry completely.
3. Decide which end of the dowel will be the "top" where the "streamers" will be attached. Cut 5 to 10 pieces of ribbon approximately 12" (30 cm) long. You can make them different lengths. Glue one end of the ribbons to the sides of the dowel near the "top" end, varying the side that you attach them on and the distance from the tip.
Alternatively, you can cut longer ribbons (approximately 24" [30 cm]) and glue/tie the middles of the ribbons to the dowel.
Put a little bit of glue on the loose ends of the ribbons to stop them from fraying. Allow the glue to dry.
4. Decorate the rest of the dowel however you like. You can wrap tape or more ribbon around the "top" to cover where you glue the ends of the ribbons on.
5. Add a painted bead, bow, or other decoration to the "top" of the wand (optional).
DONE. Enjoy watching the kids play with their new wands.