Saturday, July 15, 2017

Star Wars Quilt Patterns

 

Our whole family loves Star Wars so I decided to sew some Star Wars quilts for our holiday trailer. I wanted to make "rag time" quilts and couldn't find any patterns that I liked, so I designed some. I made several different designs with the same number of blocks so that I could do a different design on each side. I started with R2-D2 and BB-8 and I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

I like the "rag time" quilt style because it's simple and fun. I did 8" square blocks and 1" seam allowances. Instead of quilt batting inside the blocks, I used a square of flannel. For fabric, I used a mix of flannel, flannelette, and jersey (t-shirt material). I even cut up some old t-shirts to get all the colors that I wanted. You can also use other heavier fabrics like denim for these quilts.

You can use whatever colors/patterns you prefer for the "background" blocks. There are tonnes of different Star Wars fabrics available. I thought that a star print would be fun. I used a camo print for the background on the R2-D2 quilt that I made.

Here are the patterns that I came up with. Some use 88 blocks and some use 99 blocks. Feel free to use them to make your own quilts. I thought that these patterns would also work for perler beads, cross stitch, or even tile mosaics.

BB-8


R2-D2


X-WING


Poe's X-WING


Yoda


REBEL logo


Vader's TIE fighter


I'd love to hear what you think of these patterns and see pictures of your quilts. Are there any other characters/ships that you'd like me to attempt to make a pattern for?

No comments:

Post a Comment